Monday, April 16, 2012

Time Outside



Entry #5

3-10-12
      My parents own 5 acres of wooded land behind our house, so I spent time outside lying in the hammock. I love to read, so naturally I brought a book with me. Lying in the hammock is very relaxing. I could hear many sounds of nature: the wind in the tress, the rustle of leaves on the ground made by tiny footsteps of unidentified creatures, the neighbor’s dog barking and the call of birds. I believe there is an intrinsic calming effect created by nature. You always hear about how people feel calm at the beach or camping. You rarely hear how someone feels relaxed in the hustle and bustle of urban life. When I read Richard Louv’s “restorative-environment” effect it was encouraging to know that someone had the same thought as me (obviously his idea was more developed than mine). When I began to feel tired I put the book down and began to look at the sky and the clouds moving lazily overhead. I definitely need to take advantage of this nice weather, because the heat is often to oppressive for me to enjoy this domestic luxury. I think I will make an effort to spend more time outside in the hammock.

No comments:

Post a Comment