Monday, April 16, 2012

A Land Remembered





Entry #6

3-12- 12

     A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith is a book I enjoyed very much. I was surprised to learn that my parents and my brother have already read the book. I felt Mr.Smith did a great job of bringing the characters to life in this old Florida novel. For example, Tobias was an honest man whose values were years ahead of there time. He wasn’t racist like most people of his generation. He accepted, and cared for African-American Skillit and loved Seminole Indian Twanda Cypress because they were kind and honest people. I was also surprised by the many twists and turns in the book. I never would’ve expected Glenda and Frog to be killed so gruesomely and abruptly. However, I feel their deaths added to the authenticity of the story. Life in years passed was inherently more dangerous because one was often at the mercy of nature. The story has several morals which if everyone followed the world be a better place. For instance, the importance of being an honest businessman is stressed. Tobias collects cows from Lowry and other men and he seals the deal with a handshake. Even though they lose some cows along the way, he deducts the losses from his profits and pays the men in full. Another moral which is stressed is to respect the land. Solomon is stricken with guilt after he realizes that the land deals he made were detrimental to Florida and the Earth. The concrete jungle which he helped found is a disgusting reminder of his greed which sickens him. Lastly, the moral of loving and enjoying one’s family is also stressed. While Solomon ends up filthy rich, he spends his last days in the scrub. He keeps family heirlooms close by reminiscing on years passed while thinking of his lost loved ones. A Land Remembered was a great story I am glad to have read, I can thank this course for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment