Monday, April 16, 2012

FGCU Walkabout




Entry #2

1-26-12

Walking around the campus of FGCU and learning of all the steps the university took to become “green” was very informative. I wholeheartedly support smarter building to help protect the environment and become more self-sustaining. I was surprised to learn that FGCU had showers the students can use who decide to bike to school. I also learned that some of the buildings were designed with am emphasis to promote natural cooling and heating. Furthermore, I learned that FGCU uses solar panels which provide electricity to many of the buildings. The air conditioning which is used in some of the buildings is actually provided by cooled water, not traditional A/C units. It was also informative to learn about how the roof and the foundation of FGCU were designed to direct rainwater to more easily flow into the ponds and waterways on campus. Walking through the woods I learned many new facts about native and non-native species. For example, I learned about the protection bark provides to trees. Surprisingly,  I spotted a Florida bobcat. I 'am almost positive my nice professor is going to give me bonus points for my astute observation. I was proud to learn of all the cutting-edge technologies FGCU utilized in its Eco-friendly design. Hopefully with continued awareness of man's impact on the planent FGCU's example with become standard practices for all schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment