Monday, April 16, 2012

Climate Change


Entry #9
3-20-12
      Climate change (formerly known as global warming) is a hotly debated issue. Historically, those who are more right-leaning in their political beliefs tend to believe that it is a naturally occurring phenomenon. However, those with more liberal beliefs typically feel it is occurring because of a direct correlation of man’s impact on the Earth. Since the ideologies are divided by party lines, it is often hard for Congress to come to agreements about policies which impact Mother Nature. I won’t pull up articles citing numerous facts that show a correlation of human’s impact on the planet because there is a wealth of information and misinformation which can point the finger at either side. However, just using some common sense tells me that human’s play a large role in climate change. For example, more people are on Earth than ever before. After measuring my ecological footprint and seeing how devastating my impact is, no scientist could convince me that we don’t attribute to climate change. In my honest opinion, I think the reason why there is such staunch resistance to exploring alternative sources of energy and a more Planet-friendly lifestyle is that Big Business is terrified to see even the briefest shrinking of their huge profit margins. This type of thinking is very short-sighted. If Big Business wants to continue its love affair with money, it should do everything it can to ensure that the Earth will survive. What good is it to make money now if our irresponsible life style leads us to extinction? For the sake of the Earth and my fellow man I hope everyone can begin to see the importance of a more sustainable existence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment